Review: Kat, Incorrigible (The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson #1)


Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

Copy Courtesy of Simon and Schuster via Galley Grab
Release: April 5, 2011

Summary
Kat is always getting into trouble much to the chagrin of her Step Mama. Turns out, Kat also has magical powers, which she inherited from her real Mama. Unfortunately, magic is considered quite a scandal in polite Society. Kat, though, is determined to solve all the problems of her less than rich and magically gifted family.

Commentary
The story really was not what I expected from the cover at least the setting was not what I expected. The proper life of a Society household just doesn't seem to fit in with the silliness and mischievousness of the cover although the story itself was quite silly.

It had its cute moments, and I might have enjoyed it when I was younger. I am not sure though that it would've been a favorite. The characters are not subtle in who is bad, and there really aren't any good people besides Kat's dead mother, who is well, dead so I wasn't fond of any of them. The plot was, well, silly although it could also be that I'm a little sick of the "Woe is me, I can't choose me own mate" theme at the moment.

I believe this book is aimed at a younger audience than some of the other YA books which are being published now perhaps 10-12 is the right age group (the heroine is 12). From that perspective, it would probably be a decent book. It's got a thumb your nose at authority type of feel to it, which may be appealing to some of the more benign mischief makers out there. I, though, did not particularly enjoy it.

Star Rating: 2.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Kat, Incorrigible at Amazon

This is now a Book Party Post
CymLowell

4 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Oh no! I have this one sitting on my shelf for review. Now I'm a little nervous to read it. I just love that cover though!

 

Don't you just hate it when the cover doesn't reflect the storyline!


(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

 

@Lisa sometimes although if this had been more true to Victorian times I think I might have been ok with the mismatch

 

..Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party.

Stop by my blog for a book giveaway:

LITTLE PRINCES BY CONOR GRENNAN

http://silversolara.blogspot.com/

Chelsey Emmelhainz of HARPER COLLINS is graciously providing FIVE copies for five lucky winners.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...