Review: Life as We Knew It (Last Survivors #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer


Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Summary
Miranda's worries about tests and the mundane world of high school life changes when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. As the weather takes strange turns she learns that surviving the winter without electricity and a dwindling food supply is a reality she must brave.

Commentary
I usually am not a big fan of books which are told as diary entries (it's just a personal preference sort of things), but Life as We Knew It really pulled it off. Miranda starts out sounding like your typical teen or at least what I've come to associate with typical teens in books, which is to say kind of annoying. Once the meteor lands though her voice gets less grating and the story shines through.

One point which is interesting is that the author got a lot of the weather changes right despite not having spent any time researching the scientific impacts of a meteor hitting the moon as it did in the book. There were a couple small areas which I had questions about but the small discrepancies didn't bother me much.

The characters go through a lot of emotional changes and learn to make tough choices in a believable way. What they face is chilling in its applicability to many natural disasters, and definitely made me want to start stockpiling in case of emergencies.

I'm really glad I got around to reading this book, and I heartily recommend this book to anyone who enjoy stories which are focused solely on everyday people.

Star Rating: 4.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Life as We Knew It at Amazon


This is now a Book Party Post!
CymLowell

5 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I really enjoyed this book too, and like you, found the narration a bit grating, but adjusted to it as the story went on. I found the events fascinating. I haven't read the companion books yet, but have heard they are good too.

 

@mummazappa I'm a little worried about the dropoff in the ratings for the following books on goodreads so I'm going to wait awhile before reading them heh~~

 

Sounds different and interesting.....I am stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party Review.
Hope you can stop by mine as well.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

There is also a book blog giveaway ending tonight, February 23, on my blog if you want to stop by.

 

Like you, when I saw it was diary style, i almost didn't read it. Since I had all three of the books in the series, I decided what the heck and gave them a shot. Boy am I glad I did! I throughly enjoyed this series and once into it totally forgot the writing style.
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/2010/08/life-as-we-know-it-by-susan-beth.html

 

@Lisa ^.^ That's definitely what happened to me too!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...