Review: The Magicians by Lev Grossman


The Magicians by Lev Grossman

I was disappointed by the book. I think I prefer my fantasy to be a little bit happier. There was just so much disaster in the book. It was as if the author thought well, how could this go bad, ok put that in. I didn't feel like there was ever a let up of the doom and gloom in the book. The main character was never happy for longer than 2 pages, and had happy moments maybe 2 times in the entire book. The end felt empty... I just didn't like it as much as I hoped I would.

Also, I was really bothered by the fact that the "fantasy world" the main character always seems to dream about is in fact a knock-off of Narnia. The author also makes a rather random nod to Terry Pratchett.

I'm sure this book would be great for people who like gritty books, but I read fantasy for escape and for me this wasn't an escape so much as whining about the way reality spoils everything.

Check out prices for The Magicians at Amazon

0 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...