Review: Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali


Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

A very interesting journey Ayaan takes from ignorance to devout Muslim to infidel(aetheist). It is an autobiography so the journey takes a long time and the revelation comes at the very end. The point the book makes doesn't actually require the entire sum of her experiences to drive home but definitely worth reading.

It gives a glimpse into the culture and daily life of some places in the Muslim countries. In some ways it is frightening with its poverty and restriction on freedoms. The power dynamic within families and the society which are backed up by constant quotations from the Quran gives the people within the extremist feel of New Earthers with a militant bent.

The author's life has been threatened many time after publishing her story, and I am grateful that she had the courage to write it. It's a great autobiography/story to read.

Check out prices for Infidel at Amazon

2 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I just saw this review and I remember all the controversy there was in the Netherlands about Ayaan Hirsi Ali (I lived there around that time). All I know is I'm reading the Qur'an at the moment and I haven't found anything yet on female circumcision our abuse of power! Her biography however is a very interesting read!

 

Hopping by from the Hop. My blog is all non-fiction and this sounds like a great book. I will have to add it to my TBR list. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...