Review: Debris (The Veiled Worlds #1) by Jo Anderton


Debris by Jo Anderton

Copy Courtesy of Angry Robot
Already Released

Summary
Tanyana is one of the best architects in a city where everything is basically built out of things called pions or rather she was until one day she has an accident and wakes up unable to see the pions which used to follow her beck and call. Instead she must collect debris, which is a destroyer of pions. In order to find out what happens to her, she may have to find the truth behind debris.

Commentary
This novel might actually fall into a category called science-fantasy since it has the feel of a science fiction novel, but it's not based on the science of this world so it's therefore fantasy as such. I'm going to classify it as fantasy for now.

This book moves from the gorgeous creation of a statue out of pions to the filth of the living conditions of those who must collect debris. In some ways this felt really surreal as you get acclimated to this future world yet magical feeling place. I think I enjoyed the sensation though.

It managed to hit just the right combination of weirdly interesting that despite the main character being annoyingly clueless (or perhaps arrogant?) at points I ended up liking the story. I'm looking forward to more details about the world being fleshed since I feel like I have a sketch of the world that isn't quite colored in at this point.

Star Rating: 3.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Debris at Amazon

5 comments: Jump to Comment Form

This really doesn't sound like a book for me, but I liked your review!

 

Hmmm not sure about this one!! Seems like it wants to be Sci-fi but isn't! Welcome back :)

xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

 

I'm actually intrigued by this one. Maybe I'll do some more research before I get it!

 

I still don't know how I feel about the sci-fi mixing with fantasy. I don't hate it, but sometimes it messes with how I picture the world. Nice review!!

Beth ^_^
http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...