Review: The Uncertain Places by Lisa Goldstein


The Uncertain Places by Lisa Goldstein

Copy Courtesy of Tachyon Publications
Release Date: June 15, 2011 (Although Amazon is already shipping copies)

Summary
In fairy tales which were hidden from this world, there is a story of a family which is blessed with good fortune. In exchange, one girl from that family must give up 7 years of her life to the other world, the faerie realm. Will Tayler falls in love with just such a girl, Livvy Feierabend, but he will not take giving her up for 7 years.

Commentary
I have been disappointed many times by lackluster fairy tale retellings, but this one was good, really good. I was enchanted from the moment I picked up the book until the moment I finished. It manages to capture that touch of fae which is at once serious and wild.

Somehow, Lisa manages to introduce you to many of the intricacies of the faerie world while never making you feel like you're overwhelmed with information. Her characters are decidedly odd, but you still can't help rooting for them.

This telling is woven with a great attention to detail, and you will find bits and pieces coming together in unexpected ways. There is nothing left dangling even though this is not your typical fairy tale. And really, you have to read this book to understand the undertones of almost sinister whimsy which runs throughout the book since I cannot adequately describe it.

Star Rating: 4.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for The Uncertain Places at Amazon

4 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I really like the sound of this one, I'll add it to my wishlist!

ComaCalm's Corner

 

@ComaCalm I hope you enjoy it too!

 

Oooh, this sounds interesting! I love fairy tale retellings. Glad to hear The Uncertain Places was a good one! :)

 

This definitely looks like an interesting read. I love fairy tales, but I have grown kind of weary of the re-telling of them in a good way, too. So, it's always nice to see one turn out so well and get some great reviews. Thanks, for sharing this one. It's definitely going on my to be read at some point, list. :)

Suz @ A Soul Unsung

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...