Review: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters


Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Summary
Sue Trinder accepts a position as a key player in a job to swindle an heiress out of her fortune. While she is hesitant, she wishes to repay her foster family for the care they have given her. On the job though, Sue gets very close to Maud Lily, the target, and this could ruin all the careful planning.

Commentary
Ok, so maybe there are thief books for which I have no love. Namely, when they meander through the characters' minds and actions. Reading this book was like trying to wade through mental mud; the story progressed very slowly.

I liked how the heist had multiple levels to it (yes, I'm being purposefully vague here), but it really wasn't enough to redeem the book for me. The characters start out weird, progress to incomprehensible, and I just couldn't relate to them. I feel like the setting/tone is almost Gothic (I haven't met a Gothic book I've liked), and that could be why I didn't like it.

Essentially the progression of the book for me was 'Ooh a heist!', followed by 'Ok then, I see...', and finishing with 'Uh... wtf mates?' So lesson learned, not all thief books are good >.> especially not Gothic ones.

Star Rating: 2.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Fingersmith at Amazon

4 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Bummer! I love thief books. Too bad Fingersmith didn't live up to expectations.

 

@Lauren and Lah I was definitely saddened :(

 

I almost bought this book used once because I liked the cover and the plot sounded good. I put it back though and now I'm glad I did! It just sounds...weird. :(

 

@Small Review it was definitely weird.. sadly not in a good way

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...