Review: Eon by Alison Goodman


Eon by Alison Goodman

Summary
Eon is a candidate to become an apprentice Dragoneye, which will bond him to an energy dragon. Even as the test for apprenticeship takes place, political turmoil threatens the Imperial Throne, and Eon is drawn into its subtleties. There is only one small catch, he is actually she - Eona - and female Dragoneyes are forbidden; discovery would mean death.

Commentary
Aaahh the ending! Oh wait, you probably want to hear about the rest of the book before I lament about the cliff hanger. So, I'm liking the somewhat Asian backdrop of this story, but I may be slightly biased. There are just not enough books set in Asia!

Dragons! There are dragons! Have I mentioned I like dragons? Well I do, so I'm biased in that respect too although the dragons don't really talk... they're more tools at least in this book rather than thinking beings (although they do kind of whisper intent and pick up on emotions). I'm hoping there will be more interactions in the next one.

There is a lot of time spent on political posturing, but this is also something I enjoy so I'm starting to think this book was written for my tastes ^.^ Eon isn't exactly a guns-blazing heroine, but I felt that her reactions were true to the predicament she found herself in without ever resorting to whiny-ness.

So to reiterate! Politics! Dragons! Asia! I'm liking where this was and where it is heading although now I'm Jonesing for the next book especially because, as I mentioned, the ending is a cliff-hanger.

Star Rating: 4.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Eon at Amazon

9 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I loved this book, my book club kids however did not. I am listening to EONA on audio and it's very good as well. I really like that Goodman wrote a transgender character into the book as well.

 

Glad you seem so excited about it. I've never read a dragoon book :( I'm gonna try to get a copy of this one ;)

 

Hey, I like (fantasy) politics, dragons, and Aisa! I think I'll enjoy Eon, then. :) Great review!

 

Ooh, dragons! Sounds like my kind of book :P. I love the cover too. Thanks for the review, I think I'm gonna read this!

 

Awesome!!! And what a bad-ass cover!! Love it :)

 

@Pam I really hope to get a copy of Eona soon

@Samita Dragons and politics are so much fun.

@Lauren and Lauren I do hope you enjoy it!

@Lah The cover, I have to agree, is pretty awesome ^.^

 

Those sound like all the things I like :) Guess this book is meant for me too! Thank you for the heads up about the cliffhanger.

 

I've really been wanting to read this book. I love things set in Asia. I also like characters who aren't super strong but aren't whiny either.

 

omg!! the cover!! omg the ending !!! I keep hearing about the ending and all i could think of it.. I must read the ending!!!

Ps I'm a new follower

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...