Review: Vesper (Deviants #1) by Jeff Sampson



Vesper by Jeff Sampson

Summary
Emily Webb's story starts on the day a classmate called Emily Cooke is shot and killed when she suddenly develops an alternate personality and super powers. Is it the other Emily's ghost come to possess her or perhaps something more...

Commentary
This book flips back and forth between Emily sitting in an interrogation room, and her telling the story of why she's in that room. I find that books that do this back and forth flipping in time are fun to read since it builds the anticipation and gives various perspectives without having the reader follow multiple characters. So, I definitely enjoyed that part.

I think Emily's normal personality was too timid as a heroine while the alternate personality was too brazen although I suppose the contrast is supposed to give the reader a stark delineation of the two personalities. I feel that this left each of the personalities more simplistic, but I did enjoy the ride it took me on.

Also, the way the story plays out is somewhat unexpected, at least it was for me, which I think I've mentioned before is something I prefer ^.^ I'm looking forward to the next book although I hope Emily's character does develop some more depth.

Star Rating: 3.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Vesper at Amazon

5 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I enjoyed Vesper, but I do agree with you about Emily's personality. Looking forward to book two!

 

I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds really interesting. totally get what you mean about the lack of depth in a character-it's sad when that happens!

The Cait Files

 

This sounds really interesting! I love when a narrator flips between the past and present.

 

I really enjoyed Vesper too but I agree about wishing Emily had more depth. I'm looking forward to book two though, since I loved the ending.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...