Review: Memento Nora by Angie Smibert


Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

Copy Courtesy of Marshall Cavendish
Release Date: 4/1/2011

Summary
Nora is about to have her memory erased for the first time by swallowing a little white pill, until a boy who gets his pill before her shows her that he spits it out, and tells her to 'Remember'. Now that Nora remembers the terrible memories, the boy named Micah, a girl named Winter, and Nora set out to preserve these stolen memories.

Commentary
I have to say, this was pretty good. When it arrived, it was such a slim novel that I was worried, but I was quickly drawn into the story and cared about the characters. I really enjoyed the way the trio interacted, and how each of them had an interesting background.

The story moves pretty quickly, but somehow a lot of background information is given without the feeling of information overload. The characters manage to tell their vignettes in a wonderfully chilling but accessible voice.

This book hints at a very consumerist world, and this tone is there from the first lines of the book although I'm not sure the ending stands as a powerful statement for or against consumerism. I do find myself wishing that the story could be longer, but that's how I feel about all books under 300 pages these days heh~~

The science has a pretty good real world basis (big plus in my book). If you're looking for a dystopian piece, this is a good one to pick up.

Star Rating: 4.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Edit: Interview with Angie coming soon!

Check out prices for Memento Nora at Amazon

7 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I've been wondering whether this book was worth checking out--I definitely want to read it now! Thanks for the review!

 

That's next on my to read list

 

@Steph and Cari ^.^ I hope you all enjoy it!

 

O also, I'm going to be interviewing Angie so stay tuned for the interview... sometime soon...

 

I just got the ARC - I can't wait to read. MEMENTO NORA sounds fascinating! Looking forward to your interview with Angie!

 

@Kiki go go go! I look forward to you reviewing it ^.^

 

I'm dying to get my hands on this one, thanks for the review, you always manage to put in little details no one else does. Looking forward to the interview also!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...