Review: The Girl in the Garden


The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair

Copy Courtesy of NetGalley and Hachette Book Group
Release Date: 6/15/2011

Summary
Rakhee leaves a letter with her ring for her fiance and quietly slips out of bed to go to India. In the letter is a story detailing the reason she doesn't talk about her mother. It's a story about a very young Rakhee and her family, whose secrets threaten to destroy everything the family has worked for. What could have possibly happened to Rakhee that the scars still haunt her to this day?

Commentary
What strikes me most about Girl in the Garden is its beginning. Kamala (the author) introduces everything and everyone so beautifully that I felt like I had fallen into her story world and was surprised to find myself on the couch.

The suspense in this mystery novel starts with some mysterious letters which arrive from India and slowly winds itself tighter and tighter. Parts of the mystery were revealed little by little, and I felt myself really wanting to know what happened. It is therefore unfortunate that the reveals didn't quite live up to the grand suspense. There was definitely a certain amount of suspension of disbelief for the explanations given.

This is not a bad read, but I didn't feel like the ending fit with the rest of the story thus making the rest of the story feel more melodramatic than it might have. In particular, I didn't feel that the story told justified Rakhee leaving behind her ring when she goes off to India.

Star Rating: 2.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for The Girl in the Garden at Amazon

8 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I'm your newest follower from the Friday hop. I'm looking forward to visiting often and reading your reviews!
Kim
http://sugarcreekcottage.blogspot.com/

 

@Kimberly thanks for stopping by~~

 

Well...that's a beautiful cover haha. Sad you didn't like it, but glad I read this that way I won't request it :)

 

@Samita it has its moments... but there are better books heh~~

 

Love your blog and have awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. Drop by my blog for deets.

Best,
Dana @ http://bookgirlknitting.blogspot.com/

 

Following you! :D

Stopping by from the Blog Hop and Follow Friday. Have a great weekend!

My Hop and Follow are here

Happy Reading,
Zakiya!

 

Thank you for the review and have a good weekend.

 

Just dropped by from the Book Blogger Hop. I had to click on this review because I have the ARC sitting in my pile. I'm sad that it didn't work for you - I was really looking forward to reading it. It sounds like it is still worth a read even though it wasn't earth shaking. Glad to find your blog - I'm a new follower!

LL The Story Girl

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...