Review: Wild Magic (Immortals #1)


Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce has been one of my favorite authors for many many years. Sadly, a lot of the new YA lovers have not met her yet. Her books are about strong women, which many of you profess to loving, so I feel it is my duty to introduce y'all to her. I'm starting with a book that isn't really the beginning, but it's where I started reading Tammy's work.

Summary
Daine has presented herself to Onua, the royal horse mistress, because she is in search of a job working with animals. To Onua, Daine's 'knack' with handling animals seems downright magical. As Daine journeys with Onua through Tortall, magical beasts from myths of old begin to appear, and Daine's abilities may be needed more than ever.

Commentary
This is one of my favorite books of all time in case you couldn't tell by the introduction I gave it. If you're expecting to read this for the romance though, don't because it's not a romance. This book is about empowerment. It's a journey from fearing to believing.

I love worldbuilding, and I believe it is the foundation of any speculative novel. Tammy's worldbuilding is wonderful. The novel starts out small with just the immediate surroundings of Daine, but then it builds and builds. You learn about the world as Daine goes from little back country village to the big Palace and its huge city. I love this kind of slow building that sneaks in details all over the place.

Guys and gals (probably more gals than guys but hey boys can enjoy this book too) I urge you to read this book because it is the wonderful start of a lovely series. Of course, you can also start with Alanna: The First Adventure because that is the beginning of all the Tortall books (there are quite a few now).

Star Rating: 5.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Wild Magic at Amazon

5 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I just got this from bookmooch and looking forward to it. Sounds good :D

 

I read this book as a child. I don't remember much about it but I do remember loving it! Your review makes me want to go read it again.

 

@Patricia you should!

@Silver I do hope you enjoy it ^.^

 

Oh my gosh this was the first TP book I read as well! I absolutely love her books
Tortall etc are so well imagined!
Love this book!
Lettie

 

Such a great book! I love all the Tortall books. Thanks for sharing your review and recommendation. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...