Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy #1) by N.K. Jemisin


The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

At this point, I'm sure you guys want a review of a book that I really enjoyed. So here you go!

Summary
Yeine's mother was the heiress to the world, but she abdicated and moved to the small nation of Darr before Yeine was even born. Now, Yeine's mother is dead, and Yeine has been recalled to the seat of power, the city of Sky, by her grandfather, who promptly declares her as the new heiress. This pronouncement could prove deadly to Yeine who is an infant in the mire of political intrigue which is the lifeblood of the city of Sky.

Commentary
This book was unexpectedly good. I wanted to buy it after I read the first couple of pages in the bookstore, but then again, I'm a sucker for this kind of political intrigue. In that front, it definitely did not disappoint. There were enough layers to the court that I was thoroughly satisfied.

I think this book could have become a most-loved kind of book if only the author had not condensed the time-frame of the story into 3 weeks. It makes the pacing of the story too frantic as events which alter the course of the world happen in an eyeblink. Relationships and bonds which should have taken years to build up happen in mere days, which took away from the depth demanded by a novel of this scope.

Despite the quick timescale though, I came to care for the characters and found myself entrenched in the plots swirling around Yeine and the Gods (yep, there are some gods hanging around). This story should appeal to people who enjoyed the political intrigue and decadent feel of Kushiel's Dart although it's nowhere near as sensuous.

Star Rating: 4.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms at Amazon

3 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I... was supposed to read this for a book club and never did lol glad you enjoyed it, I may check it out eventually.

 

Glad you liked this. I've read mixed reviews. Time frame issues are definitely annoying but at least it didn't ruin the book.

 

@Samita and Alison It's an oddly addicting book.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...