Review: XVI by Julia Karr


XVI by Julia Karr

Summary
Nina is 15, and she has been told all her life that all girls turn into sex addicts once they turn 16. The law basically considers them fair game for any man, but Nina really doesn't want this to happen so she dreads the XVI tattoo she will get which will mark her as a 16-year-old.

Commentary
I definitely picked up this book because the premise was intriguing. The book itself, in some ways reminds me of The Handmaid's Tale with its myriad of rules although its not as bleak as The Handmaid's Tale, which I find to be a good thing although others may disagree.

Things happen pretty quickly in the story, so don't blink because you might miss something that is happening. The rapid pacing though, somewhat detracts from the philosophical journey that is going through Nina's head as she finds other people who share her viewpoint about sex.

While the premise was intriguing, I'm not entirely sure that the scope of the story was wide enough to hit the reader with the full impact of the society. I do worry about the safety of the characters (Nina and her sister in particular) but I feel like I'm viewing their world from a place of safety rather than almost being Nina. With the bumper crop of dystopian pieces out there, it is likely that you will find one which will hold your interest for longer.

Star Rating: 3.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for XVI at Amazon


Book Party Post ^.^
CymLowell

4 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Doesn't seem like my sort of read, but that is one sexy book cover...

J

http://jemimavalentino.blogspot.com/

 

@Jemima The book cover is pretty awesome ^.^

 

Interesting review. I have this on in my tbr pile. It's part of a challenge I'm participating in. We'll see if I like it.

 

Interesting, but probably not my style...thanks for the review.

Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party.

Stop by my blog for a giveaway of LINEN QUEEN courtesy of Sarah from Hachette Books.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...