Review: Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth #1)


Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Summary
Richard Cypher gets pulled into a plot to save the world from Darken Rahl when a beautiful woman crosses his path. He becomes a Seeker the likes of which the world has not seen in many years. His journey will bring him into strange lands and amongst people very different from his own as he hurries against the time when Rahl's plague will take over the world.

Commentary
It took 200 pages for the story to get somewhere interesting, and unfortunately it didn't stay interesting for long. This book is very symbolic of what turns so many people away from epic fantasy. It is glaringly cliche in its plot and characters of pure innocent good vs consummate evil without any really redeeming main characters.

Granted, I really did like the Mud People who greet each other by slapping each other. I thought that bit of random culture was amusing and actually made for a good bit of story even if I didn't much like the rest of the book with its characters that are all holding DIRE secrets from each other that would have made everything easier if they had just TOLD each other.

I had hoped this would be good as it came highly recommended,and I can see that lovers of Lord of the Rings would enjoy the long rambling descriptions. I, though, can't stand books like that so I confess to skimming a lot of the latter half of the book to just find out what happened at the end.

Star Rating: 1.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Wizard's First Rule at Amazon

7 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Aww, too bad you didn't like it. I guess this kind of fantasy isn't for everyone (:

 

I hate you did not care for this book. I love this series. I read the first 5 or 6 anyway and liked all of those, I can see how all the descriptions could be annoying.

 

@Celine and Shannon yah, it's too bad, but there are lots of other books out there ^.^

 

Hopping over to see your blog and I am now a follower! Will you follow back? http://MagicalUrbanFantasyReads.com/

 

I'm sorry you didn't like this book, I loved it, but maybe because I loved the show so much. lol

Holly
http://fullmoonbites.blogspot.com/

 

@Holly I had hoped I would, but sadly that was not to be

 

Yikes, too bad you didn't enjoy this more. I haven't read it yet. Wonder if I'll like it? Anyway, you're doing great with the mini-challenge. Looks like you've already achieved 5 points for the giveaway. Your only competition so far seems to be Alleluialu. Good luck and happy reading!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...