Review: Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars #1)


Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Summary
Teagan's life gets turned completely upside down when Finn, her cousin who is really cute, arrives and brings with him creatures out of a Celtic nightmare. A shadow kills her mom, and this event pulls Teagan into a confrontation with the dreaded goblins from Irish lore.

Commentary
The Celtic mythology was interesting although it quickly became overwhelming. I couldn't keep up with all the names and various myths being thrown around and so parts of the story became incomprehensible to me although the overall story was still understandable.

My second point of contention with this book was how quickly Teagan seems to get over her mom. Her mom passes away, and then there is a scene two weeks into the future where her best friend, Abby, asks her if she's still sad. Teagan says yes, and that's basically the last time Teagan shows any grief. This struck me as very unrealistic since Teagan and her mom seemed relatively close, and I was unable to really focus on the story after that because it felt unnatural.

I know a lot of other people enjoyed this story, but I really couldn't get into it.

Star Rating: 2.0/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Tyger Tyger at Amazon

4 comments: Jump to Comment Form

This one was not for me either. I could not get into the plot and the lore was confusing. Have you seen the cover of the sequel? It's really pretty, much prettier than the first book. I am such a sucker for a pretty cover, I am almost tempted to read it, almost....
NC
Truly Bookish

 

@Truly Bookish I actually don't like the second cover as much as the first, but I definitely get sucked in by pretty covers heh~~

 

Protagonists quickly getting over parents' deaths is so unrealistic. I noticed that In The Lightning Thief too. Thanks for the review!

I'm having a contest at my blog, if you'd like to visit.

 

@Theresa I don't remember that so much from The Lightning Thief although I do remember not liking the book so perhaps that was a factor heh~~

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...