Review: The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown


The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Copy Courtesy of First Reads and Amy Einhorn Books
Release Date: 1/20/2011

Summary
There are three sisters Rosalind (Rose), Bianca (Bean), and Cordelia (Cordy), and they have come home ostensibly because their mother is sick. Each of them has issues personally as well as with each other. This regathering of sisters will teach each of them something about themselves, each other, and life with lots of Shakespeare thrown into the mix.

Commentary
When I first picked up this book, I thought it would be a fantasy piece because of the cover and the title (the Shakespeare reference was totally lost on me). I really didn't expect this to be a slice of life story, but I still enjoyed it.

There are a lot of quotes from Shakespeare, and it wasn't always clear to me what the point of the quotes were in relation to the scenes they were quoted in. This led to some moments where I just stared at paragraphs wondering what the author meant, but I tried to pay less attention to the quotes in order to get past those moments heh.

The inner and inter dialogues of the sisters are written really well. Each of the sisters' stories and personalities were distinct, and I enjoyed each of their voices. I also loved them because they were all unrepentant bookworms, which if you're reading this blog, I'm thinking you are one too!

This is actually a pretty heavy read as there are a lot of emotional and interpersonal relationship issues going on; the resolution of these issues though is pretty satisfactory and I applaud Eleanor's weaving of the various stories. So, pick this up if you are looking for an emotional and somewhat heart-warming story.

Star Rating: 3.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for The Weird Sisters at Amazon

14 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Sorry this was not more enjoyable for you. I liked the overview, but probably will not read this one.

 

@Diane thanks for commenting ^.^

 

I would of thought fantasy too! Great review. Don't think it is my kind of read though.

 

Good Morning!
Thanks for the visit and the contest entry! Also thanks for pointing out my mistake - all fixed now! Thank you so much!

 

@Nic yah not my normal kind of read either

 

Well, that doesn't sound like fun does it. SInce life right now is pretty sucky I will skip this one. Anything depressing would put me in a tailspin.
Steph

 

Wow! This was an awesome review. Thanks - I added it to my wishlist b/c of your review even though you didn't enjoy.

 

well, it doesn;t sound as if it was your cup of tea, but i love anything with a smattering of shakespeare.
trixie420247 at yahoo dot com

 

Thanks for the review, I've seen some buzz about this one but wasn't sure whether I'd like it, I kinda think I might. But, I'm glad to know it's a heavier read going into it so I can save it for when I'm in the mood for one of those.

 

I love Pseudo shakespeare stuff. It gives the books that much more depth!

 

This sounds very interesting. I hadn't heard of this before now. Your review was wonderful and insightful. Thanks!

 

Well after reading the review I am a little worried that I will also dislike the quoting. On the other hand I am a huge fan of emotional books so I still want to give it a fair shot.

 

I want this book as much as I wanted ROOM before I finally got it. That's to say...A LOT. I can't wait to read it!!

 

I can't decide if I should check this out - although your review intrigues me about it even more. I like the idea about all the Shakespeare references although I admit, they will all be lost on me too!! But I definitely love books on sisters, especially if they are emotionally meaningful. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...