Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Summary
So many of you have read this already and probably don't need a summary, nut here is one for the benefit of those who haven't.

Clary learns that she is rather special when she foes to a nightclub and sees people who aren't visible to those around her. With this first, things, of course, spiral out of control with demons, half-demons, and demon hunters coming out of Clary's ears (not literally0. An old enemy of this new underworld that Clary has discovered has come back despite being believed dead for many years, and Clary is out to stop him. Along the way there is a cute guy, Jace, who kicks some demon ass and a best friend, Simon, who adds some love drama to the mix.

Commentary
Given Cassandra Clare's background of starting her writing in Harry Potter fanfic, I suppose it isn't particularly surprising that her debut mirrors a lot of the ideas. Granted, she does add some of her own twists, but I can't help but think that this is Harry Potter chick-litified with demons instead of dark wizards.

I will admit to enjoying Jace's cheeky bloated ego. The dialogue he has with Clary are quite amusing, and these scenes are the only one where Clary's constant sarcasm seems less rude. Simon, besides being a potential love interest and source of angst, doesn't seem to play much role, and therefore, doesn't seem to have much meaningful character development (besides some sulking).

One minor thing, I kind of get the title but not really. Also, the ending was interesting, and although not entirely unpredictable, at least different. I'm not really sure why this book was so popular, but I can see how it might be a nice guilty read.

Star Rating: 2.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for City of Bones at Amazon

10 comments: Jump to Comment Form

I liked this series but not as much as everyone else. It was just OK for me.

 

I didn't really like this book either.

 

Its too bad you didn't like this series. I haven't read it yet but I will give it a try. I liked Clockwork Angel. Thanks for the honest review.

 

^.~ I'm glad my unpopular opinion is matched by somebody~~

 

I just got the books in the mail! So, I will let you know. I enjoyed Clockwork Angel, though!

 

I read this a year or more ago and just didn't 'get it'. I'm not sure what all the hype is about but keep thinking I might have missed something and should maybe go back for a re-read. Life's too short though so I've just filed it away under 'meh'

 

@Silver Thistly lol, that happens to me all the time!

 

I have to say I agree with you. I finally started reading this series last year sometime because EVERYONE was singing it's praises but I just't... didn't really get the popularity. I mean, the idea behind it is cool and all, but I too couldn't help but notice the similarities with Harry Potter, especially in the later books aswell. I'm a HUGE HP fan, so maybe my loyalties got in the way :)

I've read up to City of Glass, but I'm not in any rush to read City of Fallen Angels. I might check out the movie though, since book-to-movie translations are usually different. Who knows, I might like the movie a lot more!

 

I felt the same way about this series being too derivative at first. It seemed way too similar to Harry Potter, Buffy, and Star Wars. Once I was able to just push that thought aside, I was able to enjoy the series on a whole a lot more.

 

Wow, I thought everybody enjoy this book. but I was wrong

I have not read this book yet.Buying this book is my plan for next month. They have translated it.
I hope I can find out the reason beyond your words above :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...