Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron


Misfit by Jon Skovron

Copy Courtesy of Netgalley and Amulet Books
Release Date: Aug 1, 2011

Summary
Jael is a demon, well she's a half-demon because her mother was a demon and her father is human. On her sixteenth birthday (because of course 16 is a super magical age) she receives a gift from her father which will change everything like alert a super powerful demon who is out to get her of her whereabouts.

Commentary
I really wasn't all the intrigued with the premise, but I'm a sucker for covers or at least I was for this one even though it's not exactly pretty.

The start of the story and the mythology found throughout was actually quite interesting, and I'm liking the take on demons that this book had. There were a couple problems with this book, and one of them was that Jael struck me as whiny at quite a few points. Granted, she's somewhat justified in her rebellion, but I was still annoyed. Also, the ending was anti-climactic because it was over too fast and too easily.

I do think this author has potential as there are a lot of good ideas which were also fleshed out nicely. The end, though, just did not live up to the expectation, and I was disappointed. For me at least, a good ending is very important to my overall rating of a book you can say I have recency bias, but it is what it is.

Star Rating: 2.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

7 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Oh, darn. I was kind of skeptical of this book, but I'd heard some great things about it, so I was eager to read it. Bummer that you didn't enjoy it too much!

 

@Lauren I was actually kind of skeptical of this book as well, and it seemed to have redeemed itself for a little while but then it didn't.

 

Eh, everything I've heard makes me think I should pass on this one. Too many good books out there.

 

The cover is pretty! Sorry you didn't enjoy the book all that much. :(

 

I wasn't enthusiastic about the premise, either - it actually made me roll my eyes, but I ended up really enjoying the book. I agree with you, though - the ending was as flat and lifeless as a squirrel on the interstate. I don't have problems with YA series books, but AT LEAST end the first book in a way that can stand alone and resolves most if not all of the proposed problems.

After all the hype in the book about a undefeatable demon king, Jael's battle seemed like a cop out.

 

I actually wrote this off from the moment I saw it. I think it might have a resemblance to a book that I harbour ill feelings for, but I'm not entirely sure. I've been reading lots of mixed reviews though, so my previous plans to give this a skip will probably stay intact. :)

Anyway, thanks Laura! I got my swag pack in the mail yesterday. :D I feel bad that I don't have any of the three books yet, but I've been really wanting to read ILLEGAL and MEMENTO NORA... And who doesn't love swag??

 

The book cover intrigued me as well, but I think I'm in the same boat about the premise. I'm getting a bit tired of the magical 16 age. However, I like the idea of half demon and half human. Thanks for the review!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...