Review: Leviathan Wakes (Expanse #1) by James S. A. Corey


Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Copy Courtesy of Netgalley and Orbit
Already Published

Summary
The drumbeat of war is sounding between Mars, the Earth, and the outer colonies, a detective is looking for a girl, and an ice miner is on the run because no matter where he turns, death seems to be trying to catch him. These three events are somehow interconnected by a sinister plot.

Commentary
This is not a lighthearted read at all although there are what have been referred to as vomit zombies in this book and having them described that way somehow made the whole book less serious. This book is written from multiple points of view although it is never confusing as to which point of view you were on, which I really appreciated.

My favorite character was the detective. He had a lot of revelations about himself, and his personality was very engaging to follow. However, neither the detective nor any of the other characters ever really gave off a sense of hope, and while I'm not opposed to bleak, I'm not sure that the story was good enough to be worth the soul-sucking sensation that came with it.

I know there are a lot of people who enjoy bleak books (anyone who truly enjoyed The Way of Shadows may like that kind of sensation although this one is to a lesser degree) so I recommend it to you folks. As for me, I think I will pink up the next one, but perhaps not right away.

Star Rating: 3.5/5.0

For an explanation of the Star Rating go here.

Check out prices for Leviathan Wakes at Amazon

0 comments: Jump to Comment Form

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

This blog is proudly Captcha free~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...